Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Library wikis

What is a wiki? : Good clear explanation emphasising pros and cons of wikis.
Using Wikis to Create Online Communities : Liked the way it specifically demonstrated how a controlled wiki could work in for library situations.



SJCPL Subject Guides I was pleased to see this site was well organised though perhaps a little boring without any attractive imagery. Also liked the fact there was a log on function before anyone could edit and it was librarians edit only in this section of the site. The history tracking was to me important so the edit could be traced to a particular person. I thought this type of info was superior to our libraries's Fitch.

BookLoversWiki I liked the layout of the pages and the use of images of the book covers. I can see this would be a super component for a library website. I am not sure of the commercial side of belonging to this wiki. Better if it was a free service for library patrons.

No comments: